Friday, October 1, 2010

First Foods!

The boys are one week away from their 5 month birthday-versary. I started Vaughn on solids EXACTLY the same time. Vance in particular was showing signs of being ready for food. Vaughn got her corndog a little too close to his mouth last night and he tried to eat it. And he's also been staring me down whenever I'm eating anything. A clear sign a baby is ready for solids.

I made my babies some baby food this morning. Bananas it was. I have done a lot of research on this topic and you do NOT have to start with rice cereal. I made all of my daughters baby food. And I plan on doing the same for my boys. Not only is it INCREDIBLY cheaper. It makes me feel good knowing I provided their food. It wasn't made from a factory, but at home, with lots of mommy lovin'. Much the same feeling I get from breastfeeding.

It is not as hard as many people think. I only had to buy ice cube trays, a TINY food processor (I think I paid $10 at Walmart for it), and seran wrap. I learned and still utilize this website www.wholesomebabyfood.com, exclusively for all of my questions and answers and how to's for making baby food.

I puree the food, put it into ice cube trays, cover with seran wrap. The next day pop it out and put in gallon sized freezer bags and label the date and contents. Then to serve I microwave a cube or cubes for about 30 seconds, and add rice cereal if it needs thickening, or water (or breastmilk) to thin. I spent about 1-2 hours every other week making foods for Vaughn. I imagine I won't need much more time with these guys. I worked full time when I made all of Vaughn's too. So it REALLY doesn't take a lot of time, and is easy. And I repeat, SO much cheaper! I can get a butternut squash for a couple of dollars, and it fills 3 ice cube trays, that's about 30 meals!! I wouldn't be able to get ONE meal at the store of baby food for that price.

As I predicted Van did pretty well, he made faces at first, but then ended up REALLY liking it. No suprise there.





Jett also REALLY enjoyed it, and I was again, not suprised. He is SO laid back.



And Pierce. Picky, picky Pierce. What can I say? I tried and tried and he kept spitting it out, just like the others did at first as well. But I continued trying, as you're supposed to. He started gagging though, and eventually PUKED. I guess he's not quite ready for the solids. :)




We'll be trying twice a day though. Maybe he just doesn't like banana's? We'll see. Next up, in 4 days will be avocado's, or butternut squash. I LOVE making baby food!


4 comments:

  1. Hi April! I'm so excited to see pics of your trio! They are so rolly polly! Love it! Sounds like you are doing well! Take Care, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to see an update and see pictures of your little guys. I am not very savy in the kitchen but making baby food sounds interesting. When the time comes I will have to look at it more..... I am glad to hear everything is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new photos and your post! I totally want to do the same. Freezing your own individual meals IS SO much better, and less expensive. I may ask you for more advice in the months ahead :) Glad to see you're all doing so well! Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey April, It is good to hear from you. I know how busy you are, especially with a preschooler in tow as well! I'd love for you to give my email to your friend if she wants. I can give her further info. Also, I could give her our donor's side of the story as well. That could help her with her decision. It sounds like a very hard one she is making. I'm glad she is considering adoption, but sorry that she has not been able to have success getting pg. Here's my email. No pressure and completely confidential. bkmomang@aol.com

    ReplyDelete