Saturday, February 6, 2010

23 week ultrasound

Had my 23 week ultrasound yesterday and things could not have looked better!!

All of the boys are measuring about a week ahead!! They are big (little) boys! Babies A & C are 1lb 7oz, and B is 1lb 3oz. They have plenty of fluid in their sacs and are developing normally! My cervix is still very long, at almost 6cm (they said they like to see them at at least 3cm)!

The doctor, nurse, and ultrasound tech were all very suprised at how well me and the babies were doing, as well as how small I am carrying for triplets, and that all 3 are big. The doctor was actually shocked how well everything was going! He said "whatever you're doing, keep doing it." I said "I don't do anything." He said, "Keep doing nothing then." haha!

The doctor said that he wants me to get past 28 weeks, then after that anything is extra. Of course the thinks with my long, closed cervix I'll make it to 36 or even 37 weeks (depending on how the placenta's look). He mentioned if I get to 34 or 35 weeks and am completely miserable they would do an *amnio* of the largest baby and if everything looks good we could deliver then. We'll see. I must admit that I am starting to get pretty uncomfortable at this point. Although I'm not carrying large, it is a lot of my bodies creating these 3 boys. And the thought of going another 13-14 weeks does not sound fun. 11-12 more sounds much better. But I want to do what is best for the babies, and am not rushing anything. If the doctor believes at 34 or so weeks that the babies look great and would do well outside the womb, then I'll trust his medical expertise and do it, but if not, I'll just be miserable and let them cook longer!

*amnio* - Amniocentesis is a procedure in which a small amount of amniotic fluid, which contains fetal tissues, is extracted from the amnion or amniotic sac surrounding a developing fetus, and the fetal DNA is examined for genetic abnormalities.

So, that is all for now. My next regular checkup is in about 2 weeks. It was VERY reassuring to know how well the boys were all doing! Weird to know I'm already carrying around over 4lbs of baby. When they all reach 4lbs I'll be carrying around 12! We'll see how my body handles that!

No comments:

Post a Comment