Sunday, March 21, 2010

They were showing off for the doctors!

Friday I had my appointment, which included an NST (non-stress test), and also a biophysical profile.

First was the biophysical profile. They do an ultrasound and look for the baby to do certain things. 1) have good movement 2) practice breathing 3) practice fine motor skills. They give each baby 30 minutes to do everything. If for some reason a baby or babies are sleeping the entire time, and they can't get them to "wake up", by jostling them, etc., or if they weren't meeting expectations, then they would pretty much wheel me straight down to the OR to be delivered. Scary. But I thought there wouldn't be a high likelyhood. Then the Tech told me the lady who was in my room before me got wheeled down to be delivered during her bio-profile because they couldn't get her baby to wake up! So I guess it isn't uncommon. My boys did spectacular though - slotted for 90 minutes, we were done with all 3 in about 35! Yay! She said they did "excellent."

Then we did the Non-Stress test. It's called a non-stress test because it is in no way stressful to the babies. They hook up fetal heartrate monitors to my stomach over each babies heartbeat and monitor the heartbeats for 20 minutes, or as long as 40 if needed. In that time frame they hope to see each heartrate accelerate by at least 15 beats per minute above their baseline heartrate - twice. But the nurse said that they really didn't even expect mine to do that, because usually they didn't until 32 weeks, and I was 29 weeks. Well, wouldn't you know, my little show offs ALL did it! Within about 25 minutes!

A pretty uneventful appointment besides that. I gained NO weight in the last two weeks. The doctor didn't even care. He said the babies would take it from my "reserves." So I guess he means my "fat" reserves. I hope they take it from my cellulite reserves too! LOL! I was reading something yesterday that said the increase in progesterone in the 3rd trimester, makes me digest food slower, as well as my stomach is SO squished. I'm supposed to eat small meals throughout the day. I'm trying, but I'm just not very hungry! To date I've gained 20-22 pounds. With Vaughn I gained a total of 30 pounds, I'm guessing I won't even gain 30 this time, with how slowly I've been gaining lately. I was ALL for gaining 50+ pounds! My body and my appetite have different ideas.

Next week we'll do another bio-profile, NST, as well as a growth scan ultrasound. Can't wait to see what these boys are weighing! One of the triplet blogs I follow, she made it right up to 36 weeks (or so), and her BBB Triplets were all just under 6 lbs! Amazing! Scary, thinking of carrying around 17 pounds of baby! But amazing! Vaughn was 6lbs 13oz at 41 weeks, so that is nuts that at 36 weeks I could possibly deliver 3 boys weighing only a pound less than her. We'll see! I'm hoping for chunkers though :)

Besides that we are battling over the last boys' name. Right now we have Vale Hudson, and Pierce Cullen. The other was Brooks Truman for like 3 months - which was my husbands pick, then about a month ago he decided he didn't like it anymore. Right now I think we're leaning towards Cutter Truman. A LOT of people don't seem to like it. But we could care less really what other people think! :) In any case I would like our names solidified soon! I do NOT wanting to be recovering from a C Section trying to pick a name!!

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome that they are all doing so well! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahhhoooo that is me that carried those babies to 36 weeks..woo hoo..no really it was tough carrying around all of that baby...I did not get an email from you about the bottles so when you get a chance shoot me an email and I can get them out to you....mott65@comcast.net

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's getting very exciting! I'd say try to drink as much Boost or Ensure that you can to try to put weight on. I'm one to talk though, I didn't gain for 2 months, but had 30lbs extra on me at the time. I don't know HOW my friend did it, but she gained 70lbs and litterally, most of it was from boost. She had tshirts made up that said, "Baby By Boost"...Cute huh?

    ReplyDelete