Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Am I brave, or just blissfully ignorant?

Today at the neurologist's (which btw they can't do anything for my headaches right now, that isn't already being done. Duh. I pretty much knew this, but my doctor wanted me sent anyways).

Anyhow, at my neurologist's I informed the nurse I was pregnant with triplets, and amongst her MANY nosy questions was "how are you going to do it? How are you going to raise triplets and another child under the age of 2?"

I get asked this question, a LOT. Especially when people realize that after the babies are born me and Doug will be back in VA, where we have NO family. Lots of friends, who I am sure will be helpful, but still, not the same.

And I just say "we just will."

I remember when I was pregnant with Vaughn and Doug was deployed and we knew he wouldn't be back until she was 2 months old, or longer, and I was in VA, with NO family, people were shocked and asked the same thing. How did I do it? I just did!

When put in situations where you can either curl up and cry or just suck it up, give up sleep and do what needs to be done, I've just always done what needs to be done. I have no clue if this comes from my 10 years of Navy experience, or my husband being deployed almost half of our relationship, or my ALWAYS positive attitude, or what? But, I just don't see a reason to worry, I just know I'll take it day by day, try to keep myself, and my family alive and sane, and somehow, I'll know everything will be okay, or better than okay.

Anyhow. That's just been on my mind. People also ask "how are you preparing?" Really, is there a WAY to PROPERLY prepare for triplets!?! haha. I'm trying, but I'm sure most will be learned as I go!

Here are some fun belly photos taken one week ago, when I was 25 1/2 weeks. My stepmom and sister did my belly up with temporary tattoos :)



8 comments:

  1. I love the tattoo tummy idea! I might have to do that one day. If you don't mind me asking where in VA are you moving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not moving there. That's where I live normally! We own our house, and that's where all my friends and worldly belongings are!! I just came to MN (where I'm from), because I knew I'd need help during this pregnancy with DH being gone. But I'll be back after they're born. I'm in Va Bch, where are you? I noticed as well that you were in VA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in VB too! I've lived here my whole life.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Small world! My husband is stationed in Portsmouth. Are you planning on joining the Tidewater Mothers of Multiples Club? I have 3 friends with twins in Hampton Roads, and two are in that club. I am for sure going to join when I get back. I LOVE their consignment sales and if you're "in the club" you get to shop the night before the sales!! AND of course sell your own kids clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've checked out their website and I've thought about joining. That's cool that you are going to join to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yah, that is cool! That'll be neat to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. April, I'm so glad you came across my blog. Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations! I whipped through some of your posts quickly.

    You are not blissfully ignorant, you are exactly right, you will just do it every day. No different than people who have 4 singletons or a child with a disability or a disability themselves.

    We have no family in the area (closest is 5 hours away), and one of the greatest blessings of our becoming triplet parents was gaining some amazing friends. People who were casual acquaintances have become like family. If you are willing to ask for help, people will help.

    As for your post on what you will miss, yes you will miss many of those things. But with three boys on the way your little girl can still be your FAVORITE girl. And there are so many things you don't have now that you will love. Things like watching all of your kids play together. Watching you daughter help take care of her brothers. Watching her make them laugh. Them learning to say her name. Siblings are an amazing gift. And, since your daughter is under two, she really won't remember life without her brothers.

    Everyone always worried about Amelia, and the day I knew she was OK was the day we got a pic of one of her friends and her new (singleton) baby brother. Amelia looked at the pic and then looked at me and said, "Mom, Lilly didn't get enough brothers!" Proved to me that this is NORMAL to her and I didn't need to worry about how she was handling it at all!

    Yay on your healthy pregnancy. Keep on trucking, and check out the post on my site (in the best of on the left) called How Do You Steer This Thing. It's me at 36 weeks 3 days, just before we went to the hospital to deliver.

    If you have any questions or panic attacks that you want to shoot to a mam who's been there, feel free to email me.

    Take care,

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it isn't the same.. but I get asked how I do it with my 3 kids too.. you just DO! I have no family here and just a few friends (as most of my friends 'live' in the computer! :) but they are important too, just not local). I kinda think being single now is easier for me personally because I don't have to spend time and energy taking care of a lazy husband too! LOL.

    ~Angie

    ReplyDelete